bckgrnd

Sunday, September 8, 2013

It's the Freakin'Weekend

As if you couldn't tell already, I don't do much blogging on the weekend. Why? Because there is way too much to do with my family, that's why. I can't say that I have been 100% on top of my clean eating journey, but I certainly have made some better choices than I normally would have. I'm not striving for perfection, I am relying on persistence to reach my goals. I did, however make this:
Black Bean Chicken Salad

I love making this because the longer it sits the better it tastes. I like making it on Sundays so I have it all week long for a quick lunch. Here's the ingredients list:

2 cooked chicken breasts (or any leftover chicken you have on hand)
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained well)
1 can corn
Fresh cilantro
1 whole tomato
Green/red/yellow peppers
Taco seasoning
1 small can sliced olives (optional)
Avocado
Plain Greek yogurt
Sour cream
White vinegar
Red onion
Green onion
1/2 a lime for the juice

Combine beans, olives, and corn into bowl. Chop cilantro and add enough to your liking (I like cilantro so I add a good amount). Add a 1/4 of the red onion, chop and add to mixture, slice 2 green onions, chopped avocado and a whole tomato (the tomato I used was from my moms tomato plant). If you have never had a home grown tomato, you are missing out. They are so much more flavorful than the ones in the stores. You don't have to add bell pepper, but I happened to have a bag of mini sweet peppers so I added a red, an orange, and a yellow.
As you can see I have added everything but the chicken, avocado, and green onion so far (the corn is at the bottom) See how pretty it is!
After you add the remaining ingredients you can start making the dressing.
 
In a separate bowl mix 1/8 cup taco seasoning, 1/2 C. plain yogurt (I didn't have Greek, so I used regular), 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1/2 a lime squeezed, or 1 tablespoon lime juice.
 
**Important step**
Before adding the dressing to the chopped veggies and chicken, pour out as much of the accumulated water at the bottom of the bowl or it will make your salad runny.
After you blend the dressing well, pour it on top of the other ingredients.
Mix well. Chill for at least an hour and then mix again before eating. ENJOY!
 
This is so easy and so delicious. Experiment with various veggies. One time I made this with 3 different types of onions instead of the bell peppers. I am also thinking about using shrimp instead of chicken.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment