bckgrnd

Monday, September 2, 2013

Weight Loss: Vanity vs. Health

There are so many reasons that a person decides to lose weight; they want to look good for upcoming pictures, or a vacation, possibly a high school reunion, they want to fit into that perfect pair of jeans, or they simply just want to see a certain number on the scale. However, for most of us the reasons aren't just to look good. Since I can remember I have always wanted to be thin so I could feel good about myself. I always wanted to wear a bikini at the beach or not worry about my muffin top spilling over my jeans. But now that I am older my reasons for losing weight have shifted. I have several reasons for wanting to lose weight and although I would certainly love to be thinner and feel good about myself, vanity is only a small percentage of the main reason I want to be healthy and lose weight.

My body is apple shaped so I carry the majority of my weight in my mid-section and back. My arms and legs have always been thinner, so when I lose weight, of course my arms and legs are the first to thin out. My belly and back are the last. Being an apple shape means that I run a bigger risk at heart disease and heart attack. Not only that but heart attacks, diabetes and high blood pressure run in my family. I was put on HBP meds when I was pregnant with my son n 2011 and placed back on them a year after he was born. I hate being on medication. HATE.IT! I don't even like taking pain relievers. So, one of my goals in losing weight is to be able to stop taking my blood pressure meds. It's going to take me awhile but I know I can do it. Another ailment due to my weight is a strain in my foot. The arch of my foot is being strained because of my weight. Which is another thing I could have prevented. My knees are also hurting because of the weight they lug around and support. All of these things are because of my bad habits and lack of exercise. What really pisses me off is that all of these things I could have avoided simply by taking care of myself. Now, by no means am I "old", but everyday I feel older and older. So, at this time in my life I am trying to lose weight for my health, not for vanity like I would have ten years ago.

Why are you choosing to get healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment