bckgrnd

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Surgery was a sucess!!

Finally, my day came. Surgery day!! The one I've been waiting for, for 7 years. So yesterday I checked into the hospital at 10- filled out some paperwork and waited in the lobby until I was called back. I was nervous, I will admit it! I got on my gown and waited.....and waited. My husband needed to go get our son at daycare so he couldn't stay but my mom stayed with me. They tried to put an IV in my left hand and ended up blowing out 2 veins, bruised my hand and had to call someone else to do it. So they also couldn't get a good vein in my other hand so they had to use my fore arm. After I filled out a few more consent forms the nurse asked me if I was read for some "happy juice". I had no idea what she was referring to but I gladly accepted the invitation because my nerves were going crazy.


Within a couple minutes of adding the "happy juice" to my IV I felt like I had just drank 2 bottles of wine. After that I don't remember much....I remember my mom leaving the room and getting wheeled back into the OR with those huge and bright lights. They scooted me onto the operating table. The anesthesiologist asked me a few questions about my kids, I felt them strap my arms down and place a mask on my face...and thats IT!


I started to wake up in recovery and everyone saying my name out loud and it took me hours before I was no longer groggy. I did have some pain and my lungs felt like they were on fire but it subsided within a few hours. The most painful part was my throat from the breathing tube. The night of the surgery I didn't get any sleep. The nurses kept coming in every half hour giving me pain meds and suppositories (hated that so much). On top of that every time my heart rate would drop under 50 from being asleep the machine would start beeping, which was every time I dosed off. UGH! I just wanted to sleep!!! I discovered I had a drainage tube running from my stomach out of my skin with a bulb syringe. That was gross.


So this morning was more meds and more walking around. My parents came to visit and I ended up being discharged while they were there. They brought me a shake for breakfast and another for lunch. They were disgusting! So I hardly drank any of them. My Dr. said everything went great, no complications. My starting weight after surgery is 237. Now, that is according to the hospitals scale which I have never weighed on before. My scale at home said 235.4. So I am going to use that one since that's the one I will use for my pre-op loss. It was 17.4 lbs total.


I am so ready to start this journey, FINALLY!

No comments:

Post a Comment